Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Winners and Losers

Winner - The Underdog Story. Hey, does anyone remember that movie "Little Giants"? Me neither (wink, wink), but apparently it was an inspiring tale about a bunch of misfit football runts who, against all odds, defeat the superpower team from across town. In the climactic, victorious finale, everyone watching the movie tries their hardest to hide the tears. But, hello, maybe you see a few similarities? "LITTLE Giants"? "BIG, RICHLY PAID Giants"? Starting to ring a bell? I thought so. And, yes, I teared up. Again.

Loser - Anyone with this postgame internal monologue: "It's okay Tom. So many people are not Tom Brady. There are too many to list them all here, but open a phone book sometime and read every name except "Tom Brady." You'll see for yourself, it's pretty staggering how few people get to experience being you. So Giants, yes, congratulations. But also you, the media darling, congratulations."


Brady in the fetal position...a site for sore eyes!


Winner - Sherpas. Yes, I am talking about the ethnic group from the most mountainous region of Nepal, high in the Himalayas. One reason: "You have the thighs of a Sherpa"...one of the Top Ten pick-up lines of all time. Alright Bud Light, you win too.


Who wouldn't want those thighs?


Loser - All of the Super Bowl Commercials that make you think that you could have a successful career in advertising if you ever wanted to not work as hard as you currently do.

Winner - The NY / Boston Rivalry. Oh wait, nobody cares about this unless they have ever lived in NY or Boston...


Loser - Eli Manning. "How could the MVP of the World Champions be a loser" you ask? I read this the other day:


"New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning alienated a substantial portion of his fan base yesterday by leading his team to a Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots. You don't become an Eli Manning fan because you want forth quarter drives, last second heroics, and spectacular improvised plays. You become an Eli Manning fan because you like mouth-breathing hayseeds. You become an Eli Manning fan because you were also too chicken to play in San Diego. You become an Eli Manning fan because you like watching interceptions being run back for touchdowns. You become an Eli Manning fan because you love hearing the words, "Third and nine." You become an Eli Manning fan because his jersey is normally at least 40% off. That is why all over New York City today, you'll see thousands of Manning jerseys in the garbage. Nice bait and switch, jerk."


Well Eli, I do not know what to tell you...but you are a Winner in our book!

The Biggest Loser - Bill "2 seconds left on the clock" Belichick and the Patriots. Nine out of their sixteen games next year are scheduled to be against teams that Vegas is giving 1/100 odds of winning the Super Bowl. That is, the Patriots will play half of their schedule against the projected worst teams in the NFL. Classy Organization? Dynasty? Good job fellas....give yourselves another pat on the heiney.

Digg this

7 comments:

trent said...

i think i have the thighs of a shepra, although mine are the hairy(or furry), pale white version of course. I would like to thank you for not trying to throw randy moss under the buss in your bloghate i mean blogspot. I think eli is a loser now thanks to your post, i already didn't like him and in my books he is a winner at being a loser. Tom Coughlin is also a big winner! he was supposed to be fired the last two years and even mindway this year there were talks about him gettin booted. But now he has a lifetime job as a head coach with this superbowl solidifying his genius as a coach or atleast as a lucky winner. I hope gayde is reading ur blog and baking cookies at the same time as me again

Katie said...

Actually trent, I fear I am a bit behind you and feeling rather ashamed. (I was baking though- but this time it was banana bread instead of cookies) I thought to myself, "Surely Katie hasn't posted another blog so soon after her last personality-filled entry but I'm an optimist so I'll check it out" and lo and behold there was a new one! The only problem is no one cares about "American football" over here and I forgot the superbowl existed until I overheard an American fried talking about the commercials. I felt so out of the loop and un-American for having no clue what you were talking about. Maybe I am turning into a literal "ex-patriot." Gosh all the possible puns are overwhelming me! Which to choose? which to choose? I meant ex-patriot in reference to living out of my native land but I also now feel unpatriotic for not caring about the Superbowl and I'm not a Patriot fan (although I never really was) and I suppose since I am quite large, I have always been fond of giants. Did you follow that? I see that Trent fully appreciated all the football talk and I appreciated your humor although, if I'm honest, many of your jokes flew way over my head. The big talk here is about the Ivory Coast playing against Segegal in football tonight. As in, "ball kicked by the foot." It kills me that Trent says "ur" instead of "your." I really need to work with him on his grammar. Well my football friend, well done. Another successful entry. I thoroughly enjoyed it despite not getting much of it:)

trent said...

gayde^2 and camTHEman- will u please explain to gayde, my sister, that ur is just different spelling for your so technically she needs to work on my spelling. I also like to use ur to replace you're cuz when both are broken down it is U R. I don't need to defend myself. Plus is we are talking about"poor grammar" under her terms, then Gayde its futbol over there, no football, so u don't always have to specify when writing the word which futbol or football you are speaking of. Gosh will you help my sister out please!!

The Butlers said...

Trent to Katie...touche Trent, touche. The futbol user trumps the ex-patriot fan. Only based on Trent using such an obvious mistake that it comes off like oh, he is just trying to be funny. The futbol vs football debate takes a little more research or attention span. But Trent, come on...Randy is already under my bus...no need to throw him anywhere. Eli and Tom are such huge losers that they, in turn, become winners...obviously. "Mouth Breather" and "Always on the Verge of Being Fired" win again!

Katie, I will blog on the Ivory Coast vs Segegal Futbol match as soon as I can. Oh, and sorry for toucheying Trent. Good news is that you can chase him (which he let me know he hates)when you guys come to our house and I will let you know where the trap doors are! That is how much I trust you...inner circle, meet Katie (you, not me).

Sorry for commenting on our own blog. It is your two's fault because a ref was needed.

Katie said...

Thank you for intervening and for allowing me into the inner circle. I feel very quite honored although now I am picture Robert Deniro saying it.

trent said...

I think its good to comment on our comments and not on ur own blog, because that might be weird. I am "snickering" at you for callin me out on my fears, and also allowing my sister in the circle. i dont want to be a part of the circle cuz i am much like focker, but know of a murderer is chasing me i will follow u guys into ur secret window doors. and gayde you successfully gave me a craving for banananannana bread. Although i am stuck here in the hospital(to help those who have diarrhea maybe even from "meat pies")when i get out i will "satisfy my hunger", but this time with banananana bread

Anonymous said...

You have far too much time on your hands, Butlers! Do you need a to do list?