Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sedona, AZ

Ironically, while we are writing a blog, we're actually very private people. It’s not that we keep secrets, it’s just that we prefer to keep everyone else in the dark. We have spent years perfecting the art of shining an occasional ray of light on a situation rather than trying to dim an already full blown spotlight. That being said, there have recently been some requests for a little more personality in these blog entries. In my case, introversion (pretty sure I made that word up) and the desire to please people are a package deal. Hopefully what follows will be dripping with the right dose of personality.

In a few short months we will be packing up and moving "Dentro Le Montagne", or "Into the Mountains" of Colorado. In anticipation of the move, Cameron and I have developed a CA exit strategy (actually just a pre-exit plan, but "exit strategy" makes it sound more respectable). Our plan is to visit as many "places of interest" as possible that are weekend accessible from So Cal. "Places of Interest" is all relative, I know, but one location on our list (as a couple) has always been Sedona, AZ. Reason? Not only is it the Vortex capital of the world, and breathtakingly beautiful, but Cameron and his family lived there for a short stint when he was a kid. Back to the ol' stompin' grounds we go...

Our three day vacation was mostly spent hiking, unintentionally not always on the trail. We trekked to Devil's Bridge, climbed Cathedral Rock, and tromped up to Broken Arrow and Chicken Point. No, we did not look at the hike guide and choose the most evil sounding adventures. "Sunset Site" just didn't offer the excitement we were looking for (not that we do not love a good sunset). When it was all said and done, we figured our walkabouts totaled 13-15 miles, none of which went unnoticed to our legs or feet. The phrase "my dogs are barking" was used more than once during our weekend getaway.

During one of the hikes, I was told by someone who appeared to be a guide of sorts, that I had a "natural sense for feminine healing." Both a strange and random compliment Cameron and I thought. The strange man then went on to explain how I had managed to stop on a rock platform that was situated between a triangle of trees with twisted stumps...an obvious feminine healing center of energy. Cameron and I both shrugged, continued on our way, and chalked my "sense" up to my natural ability to stop walking when I get tired and that usually happens at the top of a hill where I can see stuff. But that is just us...

An added bonus to the weekend was the opportunity to test out the Internet-learned techniques (I use this term loosely) with my new camera. Bear in mind that the camera is a 35mm so these images are scanned in and have lost some quality in so doing -- but hopefully you can still get a sense of some of the images from our weekend trip:

Some Cactoid looking object: Cathedral Rock:

In Living Color:

Whirlpool-O-Rock:

Cameron Climbed Stuff:

Chicken Point:

Water that Fell on Oak Creek:

Good thing Cameron was there to hold stuff down:

I took pictures of stuff:

Vortex (aka View):

A perfect mixture of ice, water, and rocks:

Slide Rock (not much sliding done on account of the brisk H2O): And because old habits die hard:

We would show pictures of the inside, but at this point it would just look like a fine bunch of lumber to those with no interest in blueprints.

Digg this

7 comments:

trent said...

finally some personalability (yeah i make up words too), I just feel so much closer to cameron and gayde^2. I did have to wait till 1:35am on sunday to finally feel snickered(satisfied...get it?) with ur blog. I especially enjoyed the picture of cameron "holding things down". haha. See!! i'm still laughing. OK can't wait for game night in colorado.

Katie said...

What a wonderful start to my day: I check your blog and read one with the famous Katie wit that I know and love. Thanks:) Ok the tough part about commenting on a blog is that I have so much to say but now that i can't see the blog I forgot all those reasons I was chuckling. Question: are you and Cameron fans of Calvin Coolidge? He seems like you're type of president, very private:) He is Jenny's all-time favorite president and I was wondering if you guys are fans as well. Lesley's favorite is Ronald Reagan- she took a picture with him in the prime of her awkward junior high stage and the picture proudly hangs in her parents' home making me crack up every time. If not Coolidge, and you can't say Ron Paul, who is your favorite? Just curious.

I am very curious as to the other details of the exit strategy. What other places made the list? Have you hiked Half Dome yet? That seems like an adventure right up your alley. (I was not trying to throw in a reference there that I have hiked Half Dome to impress everyone- I just think you would enjoy it)

"My dogs are barking" means my feet hurt? I had no idea.

I am now going to proudly inform people that I am friends with a "feminine healer." When others complain of cramps or any girl problems I will say, "You should call my friend Katie. She is a feminine healer." Except your phone to be ringing off the hook very soon. How did you not laugh when that guy was talking to you? I wish I was there to watch you awkwardly accept his very odd compliment.

I am so impressed by your photography skills!!! Score one for Internet learning! Can you give me some tips? Seriously, some of the pictures looked like incredible paintings! That was meant to be a compliment but I suppose I'm saying the real thing looked fake- it just looks so incredible I can't imagine some of those sites being real. My favorites were the whirlpool, waterfall, ice/water/rock mixture, Cameron's nostrils, and the picture where you look like your sister's twin when you are taking a picture.

Your house is looking so amazing!!! I can't wait to come visit!

Thanks again for infusing your blog with a little of that famous Katie Butler personality:)

Katie said...

Wow, I'm in Africa and Trent and I just read your blog at the same exact time and commented at the same time (it just took me longer because I was distracted by the cookies in the oven I accidentally burned) without ever talking to each other about it- weird. Or maybe it just shows people are constantly checking your blog for updates:) Now that everyone's had a taste of your personality, you know they are going to want more- no pressure but you're going to have to keep that tank on full. Trent is a little obsessed with Snickers commercials. Mom- I'm waiting for a comment from you. (there now we're even- I'll talk to other people on your blog)

trent said...

well, since apparently it is the cool thing to do, i'm going to talk to people through comments on ur blog. Well this will be more like a conference call, or comment. But first of all who even picks a favorite president? i mean favorite super hero, favorite cartoon, favorite ice cream..but favorite president? i missed that boat. I would also like to note the coincidence of me and gayde reading your guys blogspot at the same time but really 16hrs apart! I may have posted at the exact same time as her, but i don't proof read these "buggers" and she probably used a thesaurus and proper grammar hand book. But thats one reason wee love gayde, as for my obsession with snicker commericals i say WWWWWhhhhaaatttttT? (youtube bald snickers) I love the house too by the way..and since ur both so secretive, will you have trap doors, and hidden passages, and windows that are doors... Not sure how that last one is secretive but easily could be.

Katie said...

Trent's last comment is urging me to confess a suscipion I've been harboring for some time now: Cameron is in the CIA. I realize you can't confirm this but just know that I know and when I stay over at your incredible house, I will be checking for cameras and mics and will be extra careful about conversations I have with myself. Have you watched the bald Snickers commercial Trent referred to? For a year I've been saying "Whaaaaat?" thanks to that stupid commercial.

Katie said...

Crap. I spelled suspicion wrong. See Trent, I don't proof-read THAT carefully. It's really bugging me though and I can't figure out how to delete that last comment to make the correction.

Missy said...

Thanks for the personality in your blog...I agree...it is long overdue. (I have resorted to only posting pictures on my blog because then I don't have to extend the energy of writing and feeling like I need to be witty and funny).

A few observations.

Introversion is most definitely a word...however, cactoid, really?

Also, who is this trent character, because he seems to be tracking your blog quite frequently, and although I don't believe I am very competitive, I have recently discovered that I really am, and I find myself feeling as though I need to compete in the realm of blog commenting...and yes, I guess I am the in competition with Katie and some anonymous person. This presents some stress for me, because let's face it, things are a lot easier if you at least know who you are up against!