Thursday, April 10, 2008

...or so they say...

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Top three scenes from the past two weeks that support Ol' Abe's theory:

Scene I: Katie is letting Cameron know that she does not need pampering and thus opts for the thinner blanket. And Action.

Katie: "Ah, how is that for being a Post-Madonna?" (trying to use a clever play on words to express my humility)
Cameron: "You know the expression is 'Prima Donna', right?"

No, no I did not.

Katie's expression: "Pre-Madonna"
Correct expression: "Prima Donna"

The term was used to designate the leading female singer
in the opera company. Legendarily, these "prima donnas" (prime donne in Italian) were often regarded as egotistical, unreasonable, and irritable, with a rather high opinion of themselves not shared by others.

Makes sense...I guess.

Scene II: Katie is asking Cameron what he wants for dinner. And Action.

Katie: "Oh no, have I said too much...did I tip my hat?"
Cameron: "Wait, what? Do you mean 'Tip Your Hand'?"

Yes, yes I do.

Katie's expression: "Tip Your Hat"
Correct expression: "Tip Your Hand"

Based on the literal meaning of tip or show your cards to intentionally or unintentionally let others see the cards you hold in your hand in a card game.

Makes sense...I guess.

Scene III: Katie and Cameron are playing basketball. As Cameron drives for a lay-up, Katie slaps Cameron on the arm. And Action.

Katie: "Oops, sorry, your ball. I raped you."
Cameron: "Um, you know the expression is 'raked', right?"

No, no I did not.

Katie's expression: "Raped"
Correct expression: "Raked"

Rake - To scrape; scratch. Example: "...when he raked Nash's off-hand as Nash crossed over, forcing a turnover. Replays revealed a clear foul."

Makes sense...I guess. It is a darn good thing I was not much of a smack-talker back in my playing days.


Bonus Footage: Katie is traveling to CO to work on the house. Katie and Cameron keep talking about an item on the to-do list having to do with stone and masonry. And Action.


Katie: "I need to make sure I go by and see Cory about the mantel"
Cameron: "I think it will be important for you to know that you are going to THE QUARRY to look at rock, not to a business owned by a guy named CORY"

That WOULD be good to know.

Katie planned on going to see: Cory
Cameron wanted Katie to go by the: Quarry

Quarry - an excavation or pit, usually open to the air, from which building stone, slate, or the like, is obtained by cutting, blasting, etc.

Makes sense...I guess...but I still think this was an easy mistake. I just wondered why both Cameron and our builder would talk about this guy like he knows everything...

For the reasons outlined above, I have new found respect for this man: "There is an old saying that goes, 'Fool me once...shame on...you, fool me....can't get fooled again" - President Bush

Well, at least I still have these words to live by:

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word." - Andrew Jackson

Try using new expressions? No. Never.

Find new and creative ways to spell words? That is still okay...a sign of itelligence in fact.

Does anyone else's respect for Cameron grow with each story I relive?

Digg this

3 comments:

Lesley Miller said...

It takes a real woman to admit her embarrasing moments. This is what I like to tell myself since I seem to have just as many of them as you do. Part of the reason I visit your blog is because I look forward to seeing someone else look just as silly as I do.

I will now take this opportunity to share a fun story. Names have been changed to protect the innocent. I once lived with this girl...we'll call her Kammie Hollerman... and she used to think the words to "Tiny Dancer" were "Hold Me Closer Tony Danza!!!!"

:) Perhaps you already know of this story. But know one else does so it's important I got it out there, just to make you feel better about your expressions.

Katie said...

You may call me Kammie if you'd like. I am not ashamed. I also thought it said, "And I miss you...like the peasants miss the rain," instead of like the "deserts miss the rain." Makes sense...I guess. Also, I was quite certain it was, "Lady in red is dancing with me...chika chee." I suppose "cheek to cheek" makes more sense but I liked the made up sounds better.

And while we're making confessions for past roommates, I had a roommate named Jamie Haltquest who thought the words to a Dave Matthews song was, "down syndrome and proud" instead of "dancing on the ground." I like her version better.

So Lindsay Maller, we all do it, I only I wish I could remember one of yours. Do you remember when I told you had the words wrong to, "I miss Mayberry, sitting the porch drinking ice cold lemonade..." I corrected you that the words are, "I've been sleepin, sitting the porch...." The only thing worse than making a mistake with lyrics is correcting someone when they had them right.

Kammie Buller- thank you for your willingness to share your blonde moments and know that you are not alone. You're "post-madonna" story reminded me of the time in high school when I ordered a "boy-cheese sandwich" to be funny instead of a "girl cheese sandwich." We must learn to be more careful in with our jokes- they seem to backfire:)

The Butlers said...

Hey Kammie, to make matters worse, I did not catch the "Girl Cheese" even after reading it three times. I was thinking, "what, that is not that bad". What are you doing to me?